POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Why povray? : Re: Why povray? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 06:24:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why povray?
From: Saadat Saeed
Date: 12 Sep 1999 02:10:58
Message: <37db43f2@news.povray.org>
I agree.... I hate pirates!

I am a software develope myself... (simple databases for accounting
purposes....and also play around with POVray in my spare time..dreaming to
be a great POVray artist one day)..... and I wouldn't like pirates take all
the loot for the hard earned work I did. Which is why I would never pirate
someone elses programs!

Same thing with Gates. Love him or Hate him.. Bill Gates is a better
marketeer.

I have WIN95 on my system at home... (preinstalled in the HP system I
bought)... and that is only only MS system you'll find there. I downloaded
STarOffice which is free... and use POVray a lot. My company had developed a
2D image viewer (as part of a larger bundle) which I use often. And I use
Netscape at home.. which fortunately is free also. And I use MS-Netmeeting a
lot to talk with my cousins who are in different part of the world. I also
have sPatch and I have registered my copy of WinZIP (very usefull at home).
And for games... I have only purchased MS Flight SIm 98... costed me BD 25
(USD 75 something)

If you hate Bill Gates... don't use his software. Not that I like him.. but
I do respect him. And Linux still has a lot to go thru before it can take
over MS WIndows.

If you don't wanna pay much... I am sure there are many freeware/shareware
programs out there. I will be registering for Moray soon (once I find time
to download it) and IF in the near future POVray developers ask for funds or
something... I'll probably pay them (even if it is a little)... since povray
has brought a lot of pleasure to me.

I am not rich to spend BD 10,000 (USD 4000) on 3D Studio Max (on something I
probable will never master - so I'll never buy it, pirate it or even try to
use it - untill they make one version freeware or shareware for a few 10s of
dollars).... And I would probably never even master POVray... but I do like
it because it is fun...raytracing.. changing the scene a bit...raytracing
again...changing a bit...raytracing again....

Well, Just because Povray is free it doesn't mean we should become pirates.
Has anyone spend time to read the "Disclaimer Note" when you run Povray for
Windows? I honestly haven't but I sure will and stick by those rules so that
POVray remains free for ever.

BR/Saadat Saeed